Church History

History Of Philadelphia Baptist Church

Philadelphia Baptist Church in Stanfield, North Carolina, was founded in 1891. Church meetings were originally held in the Brooks School House nearby. After meeting attendance grew, a church building was first established in 1932 at its current site. The current campus includes a sanctuary with a basement, educational facility, and a fellowship building with a basement.

The current sanctuary was built in 1951 and remodeled in 1995. The Education facility was built in 1965 and the Fellowship facility was built in 1988.

Philadelphia Baptist has been blessed with 6 pastors since 1948, and 23 since its charter.

Rev. Dwight Mabry retired in 2017 after 39 years of ministry at Philadelphia. The church called its current Pastor Dr. Carey C. Snellings in March of 2018.

Over the years, Philadelphia Baptist Church has emphasized the importance of “brotherly love” and serving our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Church organized October 4th 1891. This picture was made in circa. late 1890's.

Church organized October 4th 1891: This picture was made in circa late 1890’s. This building was the first official church building built in 1892.

New Philadelphia Baptist Church building completed in 1951

Picture of new church building completed in 1951, The first service was held on September 2,1951.

Page 27 from the 1953 Stanly County Association Minutes.

Page 27 from the 1953 Stanly County Association Minutes.

View of church prior to 1991 no ramp

View of church prior to 1991 no ramp

View of Philadelphia Baptist Church. This picture was taken around 1991. The Church sign in front of the church was removed and a newer one placed nearer the road and turned for ease of reading from passing cars in 1995.

View of Philadelphia Baptist Church. This picture was taken around 1991. The Church sign in front of the church was removed and a newer one placed nearer the road and turned for ease of reading from passing cars in 1995.

Photo was taken in 2006. The handicap Ramp was built in 1985.

Photo was taken in 2006. The handicap Ramp was built in 1985.